dns configuration, please help! (fwd)

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Sep 24 15:02:55 UTC 2000

Did you look at syslog and dump 'named's data to look for any problems?

In this e-mail, you have shown a typo in your conf file.
You have referenced an absolute pathname, instead of the relative
   "pz/lrxms.net":

>zone "lrxms.net" in {
type master;
file "/pz/lrxms.net";
};

>;zone for lrxms.net
> IN NS n3byy.lrxms.net.

I do not see an "A" record for "n3byy"

>I also setup a file called db.127.0.0 in the
>/var/named/pz directory as shown below.
>;; zone file for lrxms.net

    Wrong comment :)
>;
>@ SOA ns1.lrxms.net.  hostmaster.lrxms.net. (
>2000092304 ; serial,today's date + today's serial
>10800 ;refresh 3 hours
>3600  ; retry 1 hour
>604800  ; expire 1 week
>86400 ) ;minimum TTL 1 day
>;
> IN NS   ns1.lrxms.net. ; init address of name server

I don't see "ns1" defined in the "lrxms.net." zone data.

>I was told that you actually had to have a box named dns or ns etc.

It absolutely is not a requirement -- the name can be anything.
But, anyway, it does not have to match the 'hostname' of your system.
None of my nameservers actually have a hostname of "ns", yet the various
zones are delegated to "ns.blah.blah" .
So, e.g., one of my zones starts as:

@   IN  SOA    ...
    IN  NS  ns.lab.sbm.com.
; nameserver and his "real" identity
ns              IN  A       10.10.120.10 ;
mercury         IN  A       10.10.120.10 ;

So just use the name for the NS record that your ISP recommends --
and that's what should be used when registering the domain.

>I did read one interesting bit of info on the Linux Doc site that
>actually says to run two named servers. One for the internal machines
>and one for the external machines.

Search the list archive for "split" DNS.  There is a lot of discussion
about this.  Basically 2 processes and 2 named.conf files.
One process listens on the "inside" NIC, and the other listens on the
"outside" NIC and dispenses only those names of interest to the
Internet, such as "www", "ftp", "ns" :) , and MX records for receiving
mail.

Tks        | <mailto:Bob_Vance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511