GET all top domain entries

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Sep 25 10:18:35 UTC 2000

    Sin> Dear, The domain name registration info is very useful : I
    Sin> want to build a regional directory for all internet
    Sin> sites. However, I found looking on the search engines were
    Sin> difficult task. Can I get the domain names from DNS or other
    Sin> sites?

In theory yes, in practice no. Most top-level domains refuse zone
transfers, expect from the TLD's name servers. There are two reasons
for this. The first is the load of servicing zone transfers. Some
zones - like .com - are huge and will take forever to transfer. So it
makes sense to restrict transfers to the servers that have a valid
reason to do so. The second reason is spam prevention. By denying the
public access to the whole zone, it makes life harder for spammers to
harvest domain names and bombard the world with junk.

    Sin> Moreover, can somebody tell the morality of using these data?
    Sin> Is it immoral to use it for building a regional directory?

No. In fact, regional directories already exist at places like RIPE,
ARIN and APNIC which handle address allocation and maintain things
like whois databases. Some TLDs do this too.