BIND 8.2.2_P5 gives up

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Sep 25 23:19:27 UTC 2000

Well, first of all, I don't think you really mean "root" servers, c.gtld-servers.net isn't a "root"
server, it's a gTLD server, in this case, serving in its capacity as a "net" server. 198.41.3.38, by the
way, is *also* a gTLD server (it's a.gtld-servers.net). Why call one a "root", but not the other?

I'm not exactly sure why your server would need to generate A queries for the names ns1.shore.net and
ns3.shore.net, since these A records should have already been in the Additional. Section of the reponse
from a.gtld-servers.net (packet #3). At least it is whenever I query www.ebsinc.com from that server.
Could you have been experiencing packet fragmentation or corruption at that time? What was the size of
packet #3? For me, "dig" reports 119 bytes. The A record answers from c.gtld-servers.net (packets 6 and
7)are reported as being 188 bytes.

For diagnostics, debug output from the nameserver might be useful here. Was the nameserver able to
interpret packets 3, 6 & 7 properly?

- Kevin