dns localhost problem

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Sep 26 16:38:50 UTC 2000

Scott, you still have not changed the bad comment in
your reverse local zone :|

In the "lrxms.net" zone

localhost   IN   A   127.0.0.1

becomes "localhost.lrxms.net."

So, now
    nslookup localhost.lrxms.net.
(note the period at the end)
*should* return 127.0.0.1.

If the above works, but

    nslookup localhost

gives you an NXDOMAIN, then your resolver file is wrong.
I.e., the resolver file doesn't have "lrxms.net" in it.

If it looked like

search lrxms.net  ...

then it should work.

However, I now seem to remember that your resolv.conf looked like

search lrxms.net
search xxx.yy

I don't think that you can "stack" searches like this.
Only the last one will obtain.
You should code it like:

search lrxms.net xxx.yy  ...

Of course that would depend on your OS and the resolver library
implementation.

Also, notice that your reverse local zone points to

    localhost.

Now, this is enough to satisfy 'nslookup'.  In fact, *any* syntactically
valid string, such as "fee-bore" or "zeeyy", will satisfy 'nslookup' --
at least *my* nslookup.
However, it seems that it would make more sense for it to point to

1   IN  PTR    localhost.lrxms.net.

But, as I said earlier, I don't know of any program that cares.
Maybe somebody else would know.

Tks          |  BVance at sbm.com
BV           |  BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu
Sr. Tech. Consultant,    SBM
Vox 770-623-3430         11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429         Duluth, GA 30097-1511