BIND 8.2.2_P5 gives up

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed Sep 27 00:25:43 UTC 2000

> Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:
> >
> >         BIND 4 & 8 do not have query restart.  They depend on the client
> >         requerying which is required behaviour for UDP clients.
> >
> >         As for why named rejects the A records.  This is anti-cache
> >         poisoning at work.
>
> I recognized the anti-cache-poisoning behavior, actually.  I guess I
> just didn't realize that that was on by default these days.  Cool.
>
> Query restart is a new one on me.  I've never encountered this problem
> before and I think that I would have.  I've certainly been running BIND
> 4&8 for a while.  On the other hand, I'm not a BIND guru.
>
> As I understand it, after some research, not doing query restart means
> that when a lookup is performed and glue has to be looked up manually
> (for whatever reason), BIND simply drops the initial query on the floor
> and requires that the client ask again.  Is that correct?

	Yes.

> If so, it seems wrong(TM).

	I agree.

> Is there any reasoning for this?

	It was difficult to fix.

> The only reason that I can see is that it would take a long time.

	Time was not a issue.  It required a major re-write of certian
	sections to implement.

> But it's going to take a long time anyway, right?  What am I missing?
>
> Also, I can understand the part about requerying, but in my case, and I
> would assume most people's cases, the next appropriate thing to look up
> is the name appended with the local domain (or whatever's in resolv.conf
> or equivalent).  And this is almost always going to fail.  Certainly, I
> don't have a host ``www.acmebw.com.windwire.com''.  And in the off
> chance that it might exist, it's probably not going to be what I was
> looking for.

	No.  Resolvers usually ask the same question multiple times of all
	the servers listed in resolve.conf before trying the next name in
	the search list.

> And does "BIND 4 & 8 do not have query restart" mean that BIND 9 does?

	Yes.

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com