Localhost as name server

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Sep 27 19:48:30 UTC 2000

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 03:11:45PM +0800, Ling Ling wrote:
> I have configure a mini DNS server, to host one private (192.168.1.x) and one public address (202.x.x.x). The private DNS is called centrepoint.a.b.c, and the external name should be a.b . The problem that I am facing now is when I do nslookup, the Default server is the localhost.a.b, which is suppose to be a.b.c. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem ? I am using BIND-9.0.0 , running on FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE.

It isn't a great idea to have your zone files on a firewall or gateway
box.  Better to have them on two wholly separate machines inside the
separate networks.  If that is impossible, you should have two separate
instances of the name server daemon running, one on each interface.
The internal one would forward all unresolvable queries to the external
one.

When you split your name servers, have the firewall/gateway resolve to
the inner server.  If you can get the zone files off the
firewall/gateway entirely, then have a 'named' running on it.  Forward
all unresolved queries from the internal name server to the firewall/
gateway machine, for resolution on the Internet.

Having said that ...

Why do you care which name shows when you do an 'nslookup'?  It is
merely a fluke of 'nslookup' that it decides to look for a name for
"127.0.0.1" at all.  Most resolutions will occur without that happening
at all.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B