/24 in-addr.arpa Delegation Problem

Ethan Banks ebanks at vitts.com
Wed Sep 27 20:01:33 UTC 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Reid" <jim at rfc1035.com>
To: "Ethan Banks" <ebanks at vitts.com>
Cc: <bind-users at isc.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2000 6:46 PM
Subject: Re: /24 in-addr.arpa Delegation Problem

|     Ethan> I've delegated 49.64.216.in-addr.arpa. to
|     Ethan> oldman.state.nh.us and whitemtns.state.nh.us by putting NS
|     Ethan> records in the zone file living on ns1.vitts.com and
|     Ethan> ns2.vitts.com.
|
| Maybe, but it looks as though you've left zone{} statements for this
| zone on your name servers. If that's the case, you've not done the
| delegation correctly.

Yes.  I get it now...I was missing the fairly obvious detail that a
delegation for a domain has to happen from the domain higher.  What I
thought I was accomplishing by having the zone file here for
49.64.216.in-addr.arpa populated only by NS records was that when a host
would attempt a PTR lookup against my name servers they would be told to
instead go ask the servers in the NS records I had left in the zone.
However, since my boxes are authoritative, this won't (or at least
shouldn't) work.

| BTW, you might like to tell whoever you delegated the
| 49.64.216.in-addr.arpa zone to that they've screwed up the zone's SOA
| record. The MNAME and RNAME fields are bust. Not that this matters for
| the problem you describe.

I noticed this, but you have to pick your fights.  The administrator for the
site in question isn't even using bind, so I don't want to go there with
him.

Thanks for the clear explanation of what I was doing wrong.  I feel
chastened, but more knowledgeable now.

Best regards,

Ethan Banks
Vitts Networks