nslookup domain search order

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Sep 27 20:13:36 UTC 2000

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 01:39:05PM +0100, Jim Reid wrote:
> Isn't HPUX11 the OS that shipped with the long-dead BIND4?

I believe that was HP-UX 10.*.

If Bob makes sure that his laptops stay within his overarching domain,
and that all subdomains have their own "mailx" mail server, this is in
fact exactly what this type of resolution was supposed to do.  I think
it is reasonable use of the resources.  It is when he lets it escape to
the outside world in mass quantities that he should be hunted down with
your hounds.  ;-)  I don't think that likely - most MUAs will not be
using 'nslookup' to resolve the name.

I also think that most non-technoid humans understand 'nslookup' output
better than they do 'dig' output.  The trick would be to make the
innards of 'nslookup' do "the right thing"(TM).

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B