PTR records

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Sep 27 21:53:43 UTC 2000

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 05:45:19PM -0400, Michele Chubirka wrote:
> This is probably going to sound like a stupid question, but if I have an A
> record and a CNAME record, how many pointer records should I have. One,
> right? Which uses the A name, not the CNAME record, is this correct?

Sum total, one PTR record per IP address, which uses the name that (a)
you want to associate with that IP address, and (b) resolves to an A
record with that IP address.

You may have more than one PTR record, as long as it fits the above
bill, but it can be confusing.  No software of which I know does
anything reasonable with more than one.

If your IP supplier already has a reverse DNS lookup for your IP
address, then it will be seen by the general Internet, and yours
ignored.  You can live with that, or ask your ISP to delegate your IP
addresses.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B