CNAME records

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Sep 27 22:50:56 UTC 2000

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 06:38:43PM -0400, Michele Chubirka wrote:
> Okay, here's another stupid question about CNAME records:
> I have the following three records which I need to resolve to the same IP:
> prometheus.gwu.edu (which is also a delegated subdomain)
> selenaweb.prometheus.gwu.edu
> www.prometheus.gwu.edu
>
> Which should be the CNAMEs and which should be the A record?

Obviously, prometheus.gwu.edu MAY not be a CNAME, because it must be on
the left-hand side of other records.  The others, your choice.

Remember that a "tag" on the LHS of a CNAME record may not be on the
LHS of any other record.

I thought Sweth or Sheryl were still somewhere where they could help
you with little DNS questions?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B