Two A records in different zones

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Sep 27 23:32:57 UTC 2000

> Cc: Comp-Protocols-Dns-Bind <comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org>,
> 	Bind-Users <bind-users at isc.org>

As the monthly notice says, these are the same thing.  Only send to
one.

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 07:08:52PM -0400, Michele Chubirka wrote:

> Can I have two A records pointing to the same IP in different zones? Should
> I even have records pointing to each other in different zones? ...

Sure.

>							     ..? We have a
> domain which is being converted from a subdomain in our edu zone to a .com.
> Example:
> prometheus.gwu.edu
> prometheus.com
>
> I have a host, hephaestos.prometheus.gwu.edu which is also prometheus.com. I
> guess I have to make prometheus.com the A and hephaestos the CNAME. Or
> should I make A records in each zone? ...

This TOTALLY depends on your maintenance structure.  Who can change IP
addresses?  If you think they are likely to change prometheus.com [or
do you mean hephaestos.prometheus.com?] to have another IP address,
then leave it as an A.  If you think you are, and they'll have to
follow you without notice, then make it a CNAME.  Otherwise, flip a
coin.

There is a reason that you can do things multiple ways.  So you can
find the best way to do it for your purposes!

>				    ..? But which one gets the pointer
> record?!

Your choice!  Always, your choice!

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B