equating domain names

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Sep 28 03:48:07 UTC 2000

Wayne wrote:

> Our company just went through a name change. I want to maintain the previous
> domain name & also use the new one.
> I have DNS running on a firewall & on an internal host.  Accessing our
> website via either domain name works fine, but I haven't figured out how to
> get the email working.
> qmail is running on the firewall & sendmail is running on the internal host.
> We simply added another primary line to the /var/named.boot on the firewall
> & copied the db.hosts file to db.newdomainname.
> When I send mail to user at newdomainname I get this  message from qmail:
>
> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at firewall.cae-plus.com.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
>
> <waynes at cynergysd.com>:
> Sorry. Although I'm listed as a best-preference MX or A for that host,
> it isn't in my control/locals file, so I don't treat it as local. (#5.4.6)

I think this message is fairly self-explanatory, isn't it? I'm not familiar
with qmail, but it looks like you might need to add the new domain to the
"control/locals" file. I'm assuming this is the qmail equivalent of sendmail's
"sendmail.cw" file. The mail server has to have *some* idea of what domains to
accept mail for, and what domains to just relay. This is a common requirement
of *all* mail servers.

In any case, if the messages are getting to the right mail server, it wouldn't
appear to be a DNS problem...