ACL questions ...

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Sep 28 18:36:25 UTC 2000

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 03:26:36PM +1000, BellBird System Manager wrote:
> Running BIND 8.2.2-P5 on Linux
>
> I'm trying to bolt down my box as securely as possible, and have been
> reading the docs on the www.isc.org site re configuration.
>
> I dont find the config docs very helpful, and I cant seem to locate much
> else that is up to date on the net anywhere.
>
> I'm not exactly sure what ACL's are, how they should be configured, and
> even whether I need to install those config lines in my named.conf file.
>
> Could someone give me a little guidance in this regard?

"Access Control Lists".

IF you care who is looking up records on your name server, you can
limit who may.  This has limited use, normally.  Most name servers are
out there for people to see.

IF you care about who may do a zone transfer - that is, take a look at
all of the records in your zone at once, you can limit who may do that,
too.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B