Help

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Sep 29 13:29:21 UTC 2000

    Doron> I am running a master and slave server. Until yesterday all
    Doron> has been running like a absolute dream. Now when I do a
    Doron> reload on the slave server is does not do a zone transfer
    Doron> anymore. I can see it creating the temp file but no data
    Doron> goes in and eventually stops trying. I am running FreeBSD
    Doron> 3.3 and bind 8.1.2. I have already tried upgrading to 8.2.2
    Doron> but it does not help. I can manually transfer the zone by
    Doron> using named-xfer.

    Doron> Can anyone help ?

If manual transfers work OK - are you *sure* about that? - there are
serveral possible reasons why they don't work with named.

[1] The version of named is different from the version of named-xfer.
Always install both from the same source release.

[2] There is a permissions problem or non-existent directory which
makes the name server unable to install a fresh copy of the
transferred file.

[3] The name server is trying to transfer the zone from a different
server than the one used in the manual named-xfer attempt

[4] The master server has a SOA serial number less than or equal to
the one on your slave server.

[5] There is some OS problem - lack of swap space, too many processes,
execute permissions, shared library mismatches - preventing named from
fork()ing and exec()ing named-xfer.

[6] Some router or firewall is blocking the TCP connections needed for
the zone transfer.

[7] The master server isn't authoritative for the zone and nobody can
transfer it (including manual named-xfers).

What's in your name server's logs?

BTW, you should upgrade to  at least the current version of BIND8,
8.2.2P5. There are security holes in 8.1.2. Take a look at:
	http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security-19991108.html