Unapproved recursive queries

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Sep 29 21:35:53 UTC 2000

It appears that some crappy DNS resolver implementations *always* use recursive
queries, even when following referrals. I don't think this is technically a
violation of the RFC's but is very rude and wasteful. You probably have some
CNAMEs in plymouth.ac.uk (or some other zone for which your box is
authoritative) pointing to area51.termisoc.org and www.termisoc.org. When the
aforementioned crappy resolvers send your slave a recursive query for one of
those aliases, your box denies the part of the request which would require
recursion, i.e. resolving the CNAME into an A record or whatever. Hence the log
messages.

- Kevin