MX loops back to self error?

Steve Salazar esalazar at u.washington.edu
Sat Sep 30 09:08:15 UTC 2000

I am trying to set up a small local domain with one server handling DNS
and mail.  When I try to set MX to a name that has the same IP as the DNS
server, I sometimes get errors:

.
.
.
root at linux.bogus
	(expanded from: <root at gw.linux.bogus>)

 ----- Transcript of session follow -----
553 mail.linux.bogus. config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)
554 root at linux.bogus... Local configuration error

    [ Part 2: "Delivery Status" ]

Reporting-MTA: dns; gw.linux.bogus
Arrival-Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 01:24:47 -0700

Final-Recipient: RFC822; <root at gw.linux.bogus>
Remote-MTA: DNS; mail.linux.bogus
.
.
.

The really strange thing is that mail *from* root on the server works fine
locally but just replying gives these errors. Also, I can send from
accounts on the server to anyone else in the network but no one is able to
send mail to anyone else, the mail just gets totally lost.  Part of the
problem is that internal to the network, I have some hosts that will be
able to handle their own mail, two linux computers.  How should MX be
configured for this.  My zone file is below.  This is not a real domain,
just a local one for a network that accesses the network through a
masqueraded connection, again on the same server.  The actual name lookup
part works perfectly.

;
; Zone file for linux.bogus
;
linux.bogus.	IN	SOA	ns.linux.bogus. root.linux.bogus. (
			199802161
			8H
			2H
			1W
			1D )

		NS	ns		; Inet Address of name server
		TXT	"Linux.Bogus, your bogus DNS server"
		MX	10 mail.linux.bogus.

localhost	A	127.0.0.1

linux.bogus.	A	192.168.0.1
		MX	10 mail.linux.bogus.
		HINFO	"Pentium" "Linux 2.2"
		TXT	"Server"

ns		A	192.168.0.1
		MX	10 mail.linux.bogus.
		TXT	"DNS Server"

gw		A	192.168.0.1
		MX	10 mail.linux.bogus.
		TXT	"Gateway"

mail		A	192.168.0.1

www		CNAME	linux.bogus.
ftp		CNAME	linux.bogus.

;
;	Workstations below here...
;	For all stations that DON'T want to handle
;	their own mail, add a line like
;
;		MX	10 mail.linux.bogus.
;
;	Or, for hosts that do want to handle their
;	own mail, put a line like
;
;		MX	10 hostname.linux.bogus.
;

electric-orbit	A	192.168.0.5
		MX	10 electric-orbit.linux.bogus.
		HINFO	"Pentium III" "Linux 2.2"

dan		CNAME	electric-orbit.linux.bogus.

steve		A	192.168.0.4
		MX	10 steve.linux.bogus.
		HINFO	"Pentium II" "Linux 2.2"

karl		A	192.168.0.3
		MX	10 mail.linux.bogus.
		HINFO	"Pentium III" "Windows 98"

bethie		A	192.168.0.2
		MX	10 mail.linux.bogus.
		HINFO	"Pentium II" "Windows 98"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm very new to bind so I don't
really have a clue what I'm doing wrong.