Re(2): Blinded root !

bind bind at invivo.edu
Sat Sep 2 07:41:00 UTC 2000

jim at rfc1035.com writes:
>    >> Despite the fact that our bind 8.2.5 runs very well we cant
>    >> check root servers :
>
>    >> [djr at romeo djr]$ nslookup .
>    >> Server: romeo.invivo.net
>    >> Address: 194.250.225.205
>
>    >> Name:
>

>    >> The name line is empty ! Switching to higher debug level is not
>    >> helpful.  It does not seem to be an error from the logs.
>
>Correct. You've made some errors, but none of them are helped by using
>dig (with or without debugging). The first is choosing a crummy tool
>like nslookup. Use dig for checking name servers. The second is making
>a query for A records for ".". There aren't any. So you get an empty
>reply from nslookup. A decent tool like dig would show you what was in
>the Authority and Additional Sections of the reply even if the Answer
>Section was empty. This is just one of the reasons to stop using
>nslookup. Try making nslookup ask for the NS or SOA records for "."
>and see what you get back.

OK I understand and I adopted dig ;-) ->

[djr at romeo djr]$ dig .

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> .
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      ., type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       2h54m17s IN SOA  A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
hostmaster.nsiregistry.NET. (
                                        2000090101      ; serial
                                        30M             ; refresh
                                        15M             ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

;; Total query time: 1 msec
;; FROM: romeo.invivo.net to SERVER: default -- 194.250.225.205
;; WHEN: Sat Sep  2 09:07:16 2000
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 17  rcvd: 93

Nervertheless how to explain that using one other NS (the primary one for
the French regristration name organisation) I get using nslookup a
different output ? Do they have a (very) different root.cache file ?->

[djr at romeo djr]$ nslookup . ns1.nic.fr
Server:  ns1.nic.fr
Address:  192.93.0.1

Name:
Served by: