dots in cnames

beetle bailey mrking01 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 5 23:46:43 UTC 2000

Say we have a server: hostname.sub.dom.ain and someone wanted to use
www.hostname.sub.dom.ain (someone created a presentation making use of  that
address).  Is there any reason I shouldn't create a CNAME for www.hostname
in the zone file for sub.dom.ain pointing to hostname?  It seems like that
should be a very bad thing to do, but I tried it and it works.  Then again
delegating a new subdomain for hostname.sub.dom.ain and adding an entry for
www sounds like trouble as there's already a A record in sub.dom.ain for
hostname.sub.dom.ain.  Could I get some input on this?  Thanks.