/no more [TCP|recursive] clients; quota reached/

Tom Jennings tomj at wps.com
Wed Sep 6 21:11:00 UTC 2000

named[19579]: client 10.8.100.11#1569: no more TCP clients: quota reached
named[19579]: client 10.8.100.18#4337: no more recursive clients: quota reached

I'm running the latest BIND (9.0.0.rc5!) and, sigh, one of our
departments is shipping out 2M pieces of email (no comments
necessary), and doing the obvious number of lookups on this BIND.
The BIND client is Microsoft IIS's version of the SMTP server for
Win2000.  There are two of them running.  And lo, I get errors.

I imagine this to be somewhat configurable, but I'm puzzled as to
what this error really means. I've never dealt with this many
lookups before.

Netstat shows only 5 - 20 connections at a time, and none seem to
hang around too long.  lsof sez named has only 25 files open. No
other error seems to precede this in the log.

When I see these in the log, it appears that the SMTP server starts
failing. Killing all the nameds and restarting fixes it until the
next error.

Any ideas?

---
INFORMATION GLADLY GIVEN BUT SAFETY REQUIRES AVOIDING UNNECESSARY CONVERSATION