CNAME/MX question...

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Sep 7 16:23:18 UTC 2000

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 10:10:26AM -0500, Vyto Grigaliunas wrote:
> I apologize in advance if this is not the proper forum for this question...
>
> If SMTP mail is being addressed to a CNAME record and an MX record is desired
> to be associated with the CNAME, can I associate an MX record with the CNAME
> or will SMTP/sendmail follow the CNAME to the target canonical name and find
> the MX record(s) associated with that target canonical name.

Proper forum.

Your question is not clear.

If you are addressing e-mail to vyto at grigaliunas.fnal.gov, and in the
fnal.gov zone, the CNAME for grigaliunas is woozle.fnal.gov:

grigaliunas		IN  CNAME	woozle.fnal.gov.

then this will work fine.

However, if you are sending e-mail to vyto at fnal.gov, and the mail
server is heffalump.fnal.gov, but you put another name in the MX record
whose CNAME is "heffalump":

grigaliunas		IN  CNAME	heffalump.fnal.gov.
@			IN  MX		grigaliunas.fnal.gov.

then this is NOT good.  The target of the MX record may not be a name
that has a CNAME record.

[Why eeyore, heffalump, and woozle, but no pooh or piglet???  ;->]

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B