why my nameserver allways reload?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Sep 8 03:13:59 UTC 2000

Exactly what log messages lead you to believe that the nameserver is
reloading? If you are slave for many zones, you might see a significant
number of "slave zone "blah" (IN) loaded (serial xxxxxx)" messages in
your logs. But it only means that the server is loading that one zone;
it doesn't mean that the *entire* server is reloading, and it shouldn't
cause the server to stop answering clients, unless it's *very* frequent
and/or your machine is woefully underpowered. A full reload should only
happen if a) something is explicitly telling the server to do so, or
b) named is dying and being restarted by some automatic process. In
which case you should either a) find out what is telling the server to
reload and tune it (if it's your maintenance system which is reloading
the server to pick up changes, maybe you can teach it to use "ndc reload
<zone>" instead of reloading the whole server and/or maybe you could
move all of the clients off of your primary and just have it perform
nameserver-to-nameserver functions), or b) get to the root cause of why
named is dying and fix it.

- Kevin