DNS: Full domain names needed!

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Sep 12 20:42:13 UTC 2000

To make "nslookup asterix" work, you'd need to configure your resolver
with a default domain, which would be the name of a domain containing an
"asterix" entry. E.g. you could put "domain idefix" or "domain
idefix.de" in /etc/resolv.conf.

To make "nslookup asterix.idefix.de" work, there would have to be an
"asterix" entry in the "idefix.de" zone, and your server would need to
somehow be able to resolve names in that zone, or
"asterix.idefix.de" would need to be a zone by itself, which your server
can resolve. If everything is strictly internal, then it's all quite
trivial: just create an "idefix.de" zone and add "asterix" to it. But,
if you want the name to resolve on the Internet, or only internally,
while still allowing your internal clients to resolve other names in
"idefix.de", then this calls for more complicated configuration and
possibly multiple nameserver instances.

- Kevin