Newbie Question about DNS Hosting

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Wed Sep 13 00:49:28 UTC 2000

www.xxx.yyy.zzz.
> This server is located in a web hosting facility, which wants to =
charge
> me $10/month per record after the primary.

Hmm. Are all these aliases in the same zone? Or are they in different
zons (domains) pointing back at www.something.com (effectively
setting up named virtual hosting)?

If the first, you should easily be able to run your own nameserver
(if necessary on one of your existing systems) and become primary
for that zone, and then ask your web hosting facility to run secondary.

If the latter, you would need to become primary for all zones this =
occurs
in, which is maybe why they are charging so much: $10/mth for each zone
they are operating primary for, rather than on a per record basis?

>=20
> I also have an in house email server, with one Host (A)
> record "smtp.something.com" pointing at aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd. Currently our
> ISP hosts this DNS record.

That record will be inside the same zone (something.com), so it will =
have to
move with www.something.com. It may be easier to think not of hosting =
separate
records, but whole zones (domains).=20
Think of the zone as a file and each record one line in it. It is =
impossible to host
single lines of different files on different systems.

regards