other experiments

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Sep 13 14:03:40 UTC 2000

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 10:17:51AM +0100, Quadri, Jay wrote:
> Do you agree with this:

no.

> 1.Slave zone takes  precedence over the root server,

Yes, because a slave zone is identical to a master zone in resolution.
The server is authoritative for both.

> The order is this:
> a. own zone
> b. slave zones
> c. hints file or in my case master (for internal root server)

No for the same reason.  Cases a and b are indistinguishable.  You
can't be master and slave for the same zone.

Order:
a. Zones for which one is authoritative [no distinction visible between
master and slave]
b. Information in cache.
c. Try parent zone.  If you don't know its server, try its parent zone.
   ONLY IF NECESSARY go as far back as a root server.

> 2. Do agree that Internic root servers have nothing in their hints file.

Unknown.  And irrelevant.  If they have a hints file [required before
8.2.2], it is ignored.

> 3. When you register a domain name with Internic, can you summarise what
> files gets updated on the internic root server.  My mind keeps conflicting
> on this.

Who knows what the file names are?  They could be Paul, Robert, David,
and Rumpelstiltskin.  The zone file for your TLD [.com?] gets updated.

> 4.
> Content of my hint file on the root server (intra.net: 10.50.1.5) , in this
> case it's not hint file it's defined as type master in the named.conf  on my
> internal root server
>
> .       IN      SOA     global-dnsa.intra.net.        dns-admin.intra.net.
> (
>                                 15      ; serial
>                                 10800   ; Refresh after 3hrs
>                                 3600    ; retry after 1 hr
>                                 604800  ; Expire after 1 Week
>                                 86400   ; Minimum TTL of 1 day

Needs a close-parenthesis.

>         IN      NS      global-dnsa.intra.net.

You need to give the IP address of global-dnsa.intra.net.

> intra.net.            86400  IN      A       10.50.1.5
> intra.net.    86400   IN      NS      global-dnsa.intra.net.

You still need to give the IP address of global-dnsa.intra.net.

The following lines should be in the intra.net zone file.  This zone
file must be on hte name server for "intra.net".  You aparently also
want to have two other subdomains, and are [confusingly, to my way of
thinking] giving the subdomains the same names as their name servers.
Glad I don't have to maintain this.  You may like it.

> annika.intra.net.        86400   IN      NS      annika.intra.net.
> jayuk.intra.net.        86400  IN      NS      jayuk.intra.net.
> annika.intra.net.    60400  IN      A            142.135.132.202
> iris.intra.net.    60400  IN      A            142.135.132.222
> jayuk.intra.net.    60400  IN      A            148.185.50.51

The following lines should not be in the "intra.net" zone file.  If you
want them in the root zone file, I would frown but say it is doable.
;-(  I would have them at least in a separate in-addr.arpa zone.  But
that's me.

> 15.1.10.in-addr.arpa   86400   IN      NS      jayuk.intra.net.
> 132.135.142.in-addr.arpa    86400   IN      NS      annika.intra.net.

Again, not in either of the last two zone files, OK in the root zone
file but I wouldn't do it that way.

> ;is it alright to do this, with co.uk zone
> other.co.uk.                 804800  IN      NS   wtnv16.other.co.uk.
>                          60400  IN      A     135.185.11.5

Back in the in-addr.arpa zone file.

> 185.148.in-addr.arpa   86400   IN      NS      wtnv16.other.co.uk.
>
> 			---------------------
>
> On other server such as annika and jayuk the contents of the hint file is :
> ; named.root
> .                                3600000  IN NS    intra.net.
> intra.net                      3600000  IN A     10.50.1.5

This contradicts what you said above, which is that the root is
>         IN      NS      global-dnsa.intra.net.
YES, I know that in your own mind this is the same as the host that you
have named for the domain [a practice which I think just generates
confusion].  But that is the ONLY place where this is declared - in
your own mind.  ;-)  Choose one name and go with it consistently.  If
it is the "global-dnsa" name, then give it an A record!

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B