Possible to redirect if domains' website is down?

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Thu Sep 14 13:01:23 UTC 2000

> Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:

>  Was
> a gi
> > > ven
> lly

> > > Wouldn't DNS, per se, actually be able to do it, if clients just supporte
> > > SRV records?
>
> >         Yes, this will be possible once someone writes a RFC stating how
> >         to use SRV, URLs and HTTP.
> >
> >         What is the correct behaviour when presented with:
> >
> >         http://example.com/
> >         _http._tcp.example.com SRV 10 0 500 host.example.com
> >         example.com A 10.0.0.1
> >         host.example.com A 10.0.0.2
> >
> >         http://example.com:80/
> >         _http._tcp.example.com SRV 10 0 500 host.example.com
> >         example.com A 10.0.0.1
> >         host.example.com A 10.0.0.2
> >
> >         http://example.com:780/
> >         _http._tcp.example.com SRV 10 0 500 host.example.com
> >         example.com A 10.0.0.1
> >         host.example.com A 10.0.0.2
>
> Thanks, I see what you mean. Does anyone know the whether such a document
> is being drafted, and if so, any further details?

	Not to my knowledge.  Feel free to write a draft.  I'm happy to
	provide feedback, but RFCs really need a champion.  I suspect
	this will only need to be a page or two over and above the boiler
	plate.

	For the first I would have the connection going to 10.0.0.2:550,
	the second to 10.0.0.1:80 and the third to 10.0.0.1:780.

	The rule being if a port is declared in the url then treat the
	connecting in the traditional manner.  If just a hostname is
	declared look for _http._tcp SRV records and follow them if found.

	The draft has to say what to do with the weight field even if only
	to say to follow the algorithm in RFC2782.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com