Running two DNS Servers on one machine with two IPs

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Sep 14 15:36:34 UTC 2000

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 04:51:35PM -0700, Parag Mehta wrote:

> Hi All
>
> in this context can any tell me how do i setup it up to run a secondary for some other host where in i'm already running my primary nameserver.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> regards,
>
> parag mehta

The terms are now "master" and "slave", to reduce confusion with other
uses of "primary" and "secondary".

You are not a name server for a host.  You are a name server for a
zone, which contains a domain and perhaps some of its subdomains.  In
this context, it is perhaps obvious now that in your named.conf file,
you define one zone of type "master" for the zone where you control the
files [and possibly transfer them out to other servers], and you define
a separate zone of type "slave" for the zone or zones where another
host controls the files [is the "master"], and you just transfer them
to your host periodically.  You must specify the IP address of the
master or masters, for a slave zone.

If, as in your previous posts, you want to run MULTIPLE INSTANCES of
the name server, you must put the appropriate definitions of the
appropriate zones in the appropriate files.

Please get a copy of DNS and BIND, 3rd edition, and read it.  And be on
the lookout for the fourth edition, coming to a bookstore near you or
on the Web - when, Cricket?  When?  ;-)

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B