DNS Installation

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Tue Sep 19 01:30:44 UTC 2000

> >     >> Thank you for your reply.  I have a few versions of named, only
> >     >> one named-xfer, How can I know they are the match pair?  And if
> >     >> they are not matched, what will happen? I have tried different
> >     >> versions of named with the same named-xfer, they are all
> >     >> working well.
> >
> >     Joseph> They should work together fairly well even if not matched,
> >     Joseph> unless you use capabilities that one has but not the
> >     Joseph> other.
> >
> > This isn't always true.
> >
> > Guess who found this out the hard way? :-)
>
> Ah.  Can you give us details, o wise man from the high lands?

	Trust us.  They are matched pairs.  They *may* work when they
	are not matched but there are definitely combinations where you
	don't want to try it.

	e.g.
		mismatched version have been known to result in named-xfer
	trying to close all 2 billion file descriptors before doing anything
	else.  This takes significant time:-)

	On top of this the arguement list has expanded over the years and
	those new arguements get used.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.