newbie question -- simple dns

Warren Mansur wmansur at cs.indiana.edu
Tue Sep 19 07:09:45 UTC 2000

Hi,

This is a very newbie question, but after searching the archives and
reading the howto's it seems that I'm doing everything right, but getting
no results.  I have a domain called malichi.net (yes officially
purchased), and I have a nameserver to support this domain.  It runs
Linux.  I set up named and it works for any host already out there.  For
example, yahoo.com, altavista.com, etc . . . .  So, I at least know my
root.hints file must be set up properly.  And, it also works for
malichi.net because that's already out there just like any other.  My dns
server 'warren.malichi.net'

However, I can't set up any of my own computers as a subset of this
domain.  For example, I'm trying to add ftp.malichi.net as a computer in
this domain.  For right now I'm trying to make the ftp computer be the
same as the dns server for testing purposes:  Here is my named.conf file:

// Config file for caching only name server

options {
        directory "/var/named";

};

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "root.hints";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "pz/127.0.0";
};

zone "malichi.net" {
        type master;
        file "pz/malichi.net";
};

Here is my malichi.net file:

;
; Zone file for malichi.net
;
; The full zone file
;
@       IN      SOA     malichi.net. hostmaster.malichi.net. (
                        200009192       ; serial, todays date + serial
                        8H              ; refresh, seconds
                        2H              ; retry, seconds
                        1W              ; expire, seconds
                        1D )            ; minimum, seconds
;
@       IN      NS      warren.malichi.net.      ; name server
@       IN      MX      10 mail     ; Primary Mail Exchanger
;
localhost       IN A       127.0.0.1
warren          IN A       149.159.118.4

ftp             IN A	   149.159.118.4

It seems that now I should be able to restart bind and then do 'ping
ftp.malichi.net', correct?  But, ping and nslookup both complain that host
doesn't exist.  Any suggestions on what to do to be able to add computers
as I please to my domain?  Thanks.

Warren Mansur
phone: (812)857-8222
home email: wmansur at cs.indiana.edu