secondary and primary on the same machine

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Sep 19 21:06:21 UTC 2000

kabelfoon wrote:

> hy
> does any body know , if it is possible to have a secondary and primary name
> server on the same machine for the same sites.

The question makes no sense. If you're master for a zone, you already have all
of the data for the zone available in your nameserver. Nothing more is to be
gained by also defining yourself as a slave. What, are you planning to do zone
transfers to _yourself_?

If you're trying to sneak past some registry's "2 nameserver" rule, then
JUST DON'T. The whole point of that rule is to make sure the
DNS infrastructure is robust and resilient. If you assign both nameserver
"slots" to the same machine, it is neither robust nor resilient. You may not
care about the availability of your sites to your customers, but *I* care if
my nameserver is constantly retrying queries to your dead nameserver, and I'm
sure thousands of other DNS admins care also. So do the right thing and set up
multiple nameservers, preferably with some of network diversity. If you can't
manage this, pay someone who can, to host your domain(s).