Reverse Delegation

Chip Old fold at bcpl.net
Sun Apr 1 13:36:09 UTC 2001

Adrian, in this case it is RIPE's fault, not the ISP's.  The RIPE whois
database shows that 212.38.190/24 is part of netblock UK-IOMART-990331
assigned to Iomart Ltd (the original poster's provider).  However queries
to the root name servers show that RIPE has failed to delegate
190.38.212.in-addr.arpa to Iomart's name servers.  Whether or not Iomart
has set up name service for 190.38.212.in-addr.arpa irrelevant.  Without
that delegation the rest of the world doesn't know to query Iomart's name
servers for addresses in 190.38.212.in-addr.arpa.  As far as the name
servers of the world can tell, 190.38.212.in-addr.arpa doesn't even exist.

Chip Old (Francis E. Old)               E-Mail:  fold at bcpl.net
Manager, BCPL Network Services          Voice:   410-887-6180
Manager, BCPL.NET Internet Services     FAX:     410-887-2091
320 York Road
Towson, Maryland 21204 U.S.A.