DNS

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Apr 2 12:31:26 UTC 2001

    Brad> 	This tells me that if there is any work at all going
    Brad> on with BIND 8.2.4 (which I recently heard there is), the
    Brad> odds are pretty good that there is some sort of security
    Brad> flaw in it....

There are no known security flaws in BIND8.2.3. This of course doesn't
mean that there aren't any. :-) AFAIK the plan is that another BIND8
release will be made some day. The main feature of that will be an
IPv6 capability in the resolver: ie resolv.conf can have an IPv6
address in RFC2372 notation after a nameserver directive. After that
release BIND8 will be at the end of the road, apart from security fixes.

    Brad> ..... and people would be best served by upgrading to
    Brad> BINDv9 (9.1.1-REL is the latest I am aware of).

Indeed. BIND9 is the future, so it's a good idea to start using it
soon.