Address already in use?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Apr 2 14:50:22 UTC 2001

    Graham> Hi I keep getting the following message on our name
    Graham> server, can anybody tell me what it means?

    Graham> inetd[22812]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already in use

It has nothing whatsoever to do with the name server. It's a bind()
system call that's failing EADDRINUSE. That's happening because you're
trying to make inetd listen on a port number that something else is
already using. That port appears to be a TCP socket for the (useless)
identification service. Consult /etc/services for which port number
your system thinks the auth service uses.