bind 8.2.3 memory leak

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed Apr 4 03:30:32 UTC 2001

> Hi,
>
> I believe 8.2.3 has a memory leak.
>
> I've got no idea what routine is causing it, but has anyone else seen the
> same thing?
>
> I've tried to limit the amount of memory being used with the datasize
> option.

	This is not its purpose.  Its purpose is to allow the server
	to request more than the default per-process memory allowance
	from the system.

> This DOES seem to work (memory used doesn't get over the limit) but named
> still core dumps.  Is this what it's supposed to do?

	Yes.

> We have 6 internal DNS servers all authoritive for all zones.  The only
> increase in data size should be from negative cache entries.

	If they are authoratative for *all* zones then they won't need to
	cache anything.

> I've set max-ncache-ttl to 180.
>
> After initial startup named uses between 5 & 6 Mb RAM.  Over time this grows
> (faster with more usage) until the swap space fills (or datasize is hit).

	This does not sound like an authoratative server.  It sounds like
	a caching server.

> Can anyone help?

	See max_cache_ttl (src), cleaning-interval and max-ncache-ttl.
	As shipped named is designed to stabalise its memory usage
	after 7 days assuming a consistant query distribution.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com