Interesting problem.

David R. Kirk david at kirks.org
Wed Apr 4 03:40:12 UTC 2001

> Here's the situation. I aquired a new domain after this particular clients
> provider at the time had closed up shop. I figured it wouldn't be
difficult
> to transfer the domain, but here's the situation. I went ahead and
> transferred the domain through NSI and it showed up with the appropriate
> name servers, however, everything upon lookups shows up just
> fine.......except the ip address. No matter what name servers this domain
> has been moved to, I cannot shake their prior ip address. I moved it from
my
> name servers to that of Verio seeing as they were the backbone for both my
> company, and the previous company that hosted the domain. I believe the
> most interesting part to be that the mx record is showing up
appropriately, I
> just can't seem to figure out why the ip isn't changing.
>
> Any ideas? Feel free to interrogate me, I've tried everything under the
sun
> from jacking serial numbers within the records, to switching providers, to
> spending hours on the phone with NSI. Has anyone else seen this problem
> before, or know what I may have missed?

Don't know if this has been checked yet, and not sure if this was covered,
as you don't provide specifics as to domain name, but I'd check and see
if there is a stale host record for the IP/host in question.

Basically, query the NSI whois server for the hostname in question; if there
is a host record in place, you'll see something like the following ...

# whois auth00.ns.uu.net
Query:     auth00.ns.uu.net
Registry:  whois.networksolutions.com
Results:

[No name] (AUTH-HST)

   Hostname: AUTH00.NS.UU.NET
   Address: 198.6.1.65
   System: ? running ?

   Coordinator:
      UUNET, AlterNet - Technical Support  (OA12)  help at UU.NET
      3060 Williams Drive
      Fairfax, VA 22031
      +1 (800) 900-0241

   Record last updated on 02-Apr-1997.
   Database last updated on 3-Apr-2001 10:42:00 EDT.

# whois sec1.dns.psi.NET
Query:     sec1.dns.psi.net
Registry:  whois.networksolutions.com
Results:

[No name] (SEC5-HST)

   Hostname: SEC1.DNS.PSI.NET
   Address: 38.8.92.2
   System: ? running ?

   Coordinator:
      Network Information and Support Center  (PSI-NISC)  hostinfo at PSI.COM
      PSINet, Inc.
      250 Jordan Road
      Troy, NY 12180
      US
      (518) 283-8860

   Record last updated on 22-Dec-1995.
   Database last updated on 3-Apr-2001 10:42:00 EDT.

# whois ns1-auth.sprintlink.net
Query:     ns1-auth.sprintlink.net
Registry:  whois.networksolutions.com
Results:

[No name] (NS310-HST)

   Hostname: NS1-AUTH.SPRINTLINK.NET
   Address: 206.228.179.10
   System: ? running ?

   Coordinator:
      Sprint DNS Administrator  (SDA4-ORG)  dns-admin at SPRINT.NET
      Sprint Internet Services
      12490 Sunrise Valley Dr. MSVARESB0213
      Reston, VA 22091
      US
      (800)232-6895
      Fax- (703)478-5471

   Record last updated on 07-Jul-1999.
   Database last updated on 3-Apr-2001 10:42:00 EDT.

Good luck,

dave