Locating security vulnerabilities

D L drllists at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 4 07:34:33 UTC 2001

>From: ahu at ds9a.nl (bert hubert)
>To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org
>Subject: Re: Locating security vulnerabilities
>Date: 03 Apr 2001 05:42:39 GMT
>
>In article <9abmo8$5au at pub3.rc.vix.com>, D L wrote:
> >
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I'm a grad student working on statically detecting buffer overflow
> >vulnerabilities.  I am planning on using bind 8 as a case studies to
> >determine the effectiveness of a tool I'm developing.
> >
> >I was wondering if anyone can give me any suggestions on where to find
> >detailed information (i.e. the lines of code causing the vulnerability)
>for
> >known buffer overflow vulnerabilities in old versions of bind 8.
>
>Search the bugtraq archives (http://www.securityfocus.org/). Previous
>errors
>have for example been caused by bogus TSIG records being misinterpreted by
>bind. The NXT record handling was also broken at one point.

I checked bug traq quickly but it didn't seem to have much more detailed
information than the advisories.  Ok I'll take another look at bug traq
though.

>One of the problems with bind is that there is so much of it :-)
Yep

> >The security advisories I've seen contain brief descriptions of bind
> >security problems but not enough information to easily find the
> >vulnerability in the code.
>
>Exploits may be more useful.

Good idea.  Do you know a site which maintains bind exploits.
(This might also be of interest to the thread on which versions of bind have
published exploits.)

>Regards,
>
>bert hubert

Thanks for the suggests,