Failing to start named with BIND 9.1.1

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Apr 4 17:55:57 UTC 2001

>>>>> "Alecio" == Alecio Maduro <alecio at cura.net> writes:

First of all, please use a mail program that generates plain text, not
ugly HTML. Most people on this list do not use a web browser to read
and send mail.

    Alecio> I tried scanning for the first part (CLASS256) problem in
    Alecio> the messages by month.

Try looking for articles that quote the generic part of the error
message -- ie "no matching view for class" -- in the Subject
header. Do this on the BIND9 archives. Or just read:
http://www.isc.org/ml-archives/bind9-users/2001/03/msg00132.html.

    Alecio> The listen-on option helped but I get all the domains
    Alecio> (SOA) to show no ttl and no TTL specified, while these
    Alecio> are in the db files.

This is another VERY frequently asked question. Read the BIND9
migration notes. They're in the doc directory along with the rest of
the documentation.

    Alecio> Furthermore I had problems with my e-mail with the message
    Alecio> ... Sender domain must resolve.

How can anyone diagnose what's wrong with that unresolvable domain is
unless you tell us its name? Where were you sending mail and what was
the actual error reported by your mail system?

    Alecio> I wonder if I need to migrate to a newer version than
    Alecio> 8.9.3.

BIND8.9.3 is the latest (last?) BIND8 release. There's also BIND9.1.1,
which is the current BIND9 release. So there's nothing newer. Not that
anything newer would fix whatever is broken in your DNS configuration.