Updating slaves servers?

Michael Kohne mhkohne at discordia.org
Wed Apr 4 19:32:55 UTC 2001

At 11:50 AM 4/4/2001 -0700, Jose Albert wrote:
>Hi everybody
>
>Please can somebody tell me how to update slave servers.
>
>When a record is added to the main server this one then updates the slaves?
>
>I'm being updating the slave server manually.
>
>Any idea will be highly appreciated.
>
>Jose Albert

If you update the serial number in the SOA for the zone you are updating,
then the slaves will automatically update. Either you will have to wait for
the refresh interval in the SOA to expire and the slaves to update, OR your
bind can send a NOTIFY to the slave servers, and if they are of an
appropriately recent version of bind, they will update automatically.

Note that it is vital that you update the serial number: If you don't, then
the slaves will NOT update under any circumstances. Just increment the
serial number and the slaves should update next time they refresh, or when
they get the NOTIFY. (Of course, this assumes that the slaves are
configured in the usual manner.)

Good luck!

Michael Kohne        mhkohne at discordia.org
3000 lbs of wood, 300 foot per minute - DO NOT get in the way.