"ls" doesn't work for nslookup

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Apr 4 20:47:34 UTC 2001

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 01:22:24PM -0700, David Frank wrote:
> Why din't they want to include such a useful tool?

Because it uses its own mechanism for accessing the name server instead
of using the resolver libraries.  [But this is sort of necessary to get
some of the information that would otherwise not be available to it.]
And because it doesn't give as much detailed information that is useful
when debugging BIND or DNS as, say, 'dig'.  And sometimes its responses
are, say, idiosyncratic [not what a sane observer would have expected].

But normal people would not want to try to interpret the output of
'dig'.  As simple as it is, there are those who have trouble
interpreting the output of 'nslookup'.

I feel there is a use for both.  But that's just me.  No, wait ...
there was someone in Virginia USA who agreed with me.  ;-)

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B