Microsoft DNS as forwarder to a UNIX 8.2.3REL DNS server, what's

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Thu Apr 5 12:58:37 UTC 2001

HAG.Keijzer at mindef.nl wrote:

>Walked today into a real weird thing.
>
>We have NT 4.0 SP4 setup as DNS forwarders to our DNS nameservers running on
>UNIX.
>
>everthing is working, cache is slowly filling, until I noticed something
>weird.
>
>the UNIX dns server are rootnameservers (since we're not connected to the
>net) and serve 10.in-addr.arpa, domain1.nl  and zone1.domain1.nl.  UNOX1 is
>SOA for all this   (db.domain, db.zone1, and reverse lookup in db.10.
>
>The microsoft DNS manager is showing us the following though
>
><machine>
>    +-- Cache
>           + arpa
>           + nl
>             + domain1
>                 + zone1
>                     + unox1
>

>Why does the DNS on microsoft think unox1 is a zone?
>Needless to say I tried to dig unox1.zone1.domain1.nl which didn't return
>any answers.
>Also in the in-addr arpa, lots of weird things going on, we see a
>0.in-addr.arpa, a 255.in-addr.arpa (not hosted on the UNOX1)
>and even worse it thinks that under 10-inaddr.arpa there is another 10 zone,
>which if we click it gives a red cross saying connection error.
>
>I'm not really a fan of Microsoft, and certainly have problems with the way
>they deal with DNS, but this is something which puts me totally in the blue
>
>Any experience from anybody with this?

You mentioned NT4.  I know that with the Win2k DNS there are three
reverse zones that get created automatically; you cannot change them:

     0.in-addr.arpa
     127.in-addr.arpa
     255.in-addr.arpa

The same may be true of the NT4 DNS code.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov