newbie: can I have 2 A records?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Apr 5 17:36:18 UTC 2001

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 02:26:47AM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 11:00:11AM +0300, Razvan Bruma wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Lik wrote:
> > 	Yes. You can have any number of A records describing one
> > name. Make sure also that your reverses are pointing in the right
> > direction too.
> >
> > > Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:31:53 +0800
> > > From: Lik <nospam at nospam.nospam>
> > > To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org
> > > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns, comp.protocols.dns.bind
> > > Subject: newbie: can I have 2 A records?
> > >
> > > Can I have 2 A records as in:
> > >
> > >      xserver    A     172.18.2.200
> > >      xserver    A     172.18.2.201
>
> Actually it was my understanding that to be RFC compliant, there should
> never be more than one PTR record per IP address.  Is this not true?

This isn't an RFC requirement, but it is a recommendation.  Almost all
programs wouldn't know what to do with more than one PTR record per IP
address.  As you have two IP addresses, above, you would have two PTR
records.

HOWEVER, I would strongly recommend that you also have another UNIQUE
name for each IP address:
xserver    A     172.18.2.200
xserver-a  A     172.18.2.200
xserver    A     172.18.2.201
xserver-b  A     172.18.2.201
and then put the UNIQUE names into your reverse DNS.  You will be very
glad of this when you have to troubleshoot ONE of those two connections
... and you can tell which one!  ;-)

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B