9.1.1 being *very* unhelpful.

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Apr 6 19:49:29 UTC 2001

>>>>> "Christopher" == Christopher L Barnard <cbar44 at tsg.cbot.com> writes:

    Christopher> level.  But when I execute 9.1.1
    Christopher> (/usr/local/sbin/named), It pauses for a few moments
    Christopher> as I expect it to, and then... nothing.  It does not
    Christopher> start up, there is no message whatsoever it the named
    Christopher> logfile, nothing in the system logfile, and nothing
    Christopher> in my shell in which I started named.

What do you mean "it pauses for a few moments"? What pauses?

    Christopher> The 9.1.1 checkzone and checkconf files report there
    Christopher> are no errors in the zone file for this domain, and
    Christopher> when running 8.2.2 (with exactly the same
    Christopher> configuration files) it reports no errors.

    Christopher> Can someone suggest how I can force bind 9.1.1 to
    Christopher> tell me what it considers incorrect?

Try looking in your logs. BTW named-checkconf works on the named.conf
file, not a zone file. If this file has syntax errors, BIND9 refuses
to start. It does log that fact. BIND9's log messages at start-up
ALWAYS go to LOG_DAEMON, so maybe you're looking in the wrong place?

If you want more help, post the actual logs and show us how you ran
named-checkzone and named-checkconf. Show us what the system is
telling you. Not your description of what you think is happening.
What's printed when the name server is run in the foreground: ie
"named -g".