Sendmail gets DNS error looking up domain

Ali Eghtessadi ali at babcockbrown.com
Sat Apr 7 20:13:38 UTC 2001

Dear All,

I have a similar problem with running Bind 8.2.2.p5 on solaris 8. The
problem seem to be with IPv6 support on Solaris 8. The DNS queries
return a quad A (AAAA) record for certain domains which support IPv6.
Hosts not supporting IPv6, mostly MS server just seem to drop the
returned info. The work around I found was to do the following which is
a pain :

nslookup -q=any adomain.com                 ** Returns all info about
adomain.com
nslookup -q=mx adomain.com                  ** which caches the mx
record
/usr/lib/sendmail -v -qImessageID -d8.8     ** which then delivers the
message

Any help is also appreciated.

Regards,
Ali