Strange Queries - Follow up

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Apr 9 08:31:31 UTC 2001

    Thomas> I'm happy that the mystery is solved, but as a followup
    Thomas> question, what if this happened on a much larger scale?  I
    Thomas> mean, what if I were managing 1000 or 10,000 domains?  I
    Thomas> couldn't just go check all of these domains manually. I
    Thomas> guess I could write a script which goes through and a list
    Thomas> of the domains and tags those with faulty ns
    Thomas> records...anyway, does anyone else have any other ideas.

Keeping track of NS records is one of the fundamentals of DNS
administration. When someone has a large number of zones to maintain,
they will usually have a pre-defined procedure for registering the
domains: getting the delegations done properly to point at the correct
name server(s). They would also make a note of which servers served
each zone, ideally making them the same for all zones. In addition
they would have some sort of zone file template containing one set of
NS records which was identical to the NS records in the parent zone
when the delegation was done.