bind NOT loading its configuration?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Apr 9 21:55:55 UTC 2001

    Kevin> I think this question has been asked many times in this
    Kevin> newsgroup, but how do I solve this?  I tried 'ndc restart'
    Kevin> to no avail.  Any advice as to what may be causing this
    Kevin> problem?

Sigh. This question has been asked and answered here a zillion
times. It's a pity you didn't check the list archives.

This is a rather confusing message that just means the name server is
fine: it's not reading its configuration file. A clearer status
message is printed in the current BIND8 release, 8.2.3. Your question
implies you're not running it. That means you're running a version of
BIND8 that has known security holes. Upgrade immediately.