"ls" doesn't work for nslookup

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Apr 10 20:21:50 UTC 2001

IIRC, when a query gets a SERVFAIL, and the subsequent "search"ed query, e.g.
foo.com.example.com gets a NOERROR, then I believe nslookup will, if not in
debug mode, report a NOERROR for the original query name, thus concealing the
SERVFAIL completely.

This is why I implore folks that if they *have* to use nslookup
*at*least* use debug mode. That's the only way you even have a hope of seeing
what's really going on...

- Kevin