DDNS and DHCP

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Apr 10 20:51:16 UTC 2001

Adam Lang wrote:

> In the resource I read, it stated that dynamic zone files can only be
> modified dynamically.

That's not *technically* true; you could stop the nameserver every time you
wanted to make a change, and then start it again, losing any Dynamic Updates
that were attempted in the meantime. But this is hardly a practical solution.

> If the static servers are to be in the same zone, how
> do I handle that?

Maintain the static servers via Dynamic Update, or rename things so that the
static/dynamic stuff can be separated into different zones.

> Also, if I give a Windows computer a hostname to tell the DHCP server to
> use, does it give the name in the identification tab in the network
> properties?

That's really a DHCP question. I don't know the answer.