Remember this?

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed Apr 11 00:29:42 UTC 2001

> >>nyc not delegated
> >>because it and booksellers.com served out of same authoritative server.
>

> >I don't understand that last sentence. Why should the presence or absence of
> >a delegation be in any way dependent on whether or not the parent and child
> >zone are "served out of same authoritative server"? To put it another way:
> >what do you think will break if you add the delegation?
>

> Cricket said you can't delegate away what you claim to be authoritative for.
> I'm a little confused, did you mean for me to delegate nyc to myself?

	If the parent delegates to you, you cannot delegate the *same* zone
	to someone else.

	You can always delegate subzones (nyc.booksellers.com is a subzone
	of booksellers.com) to a different (or same) set of nameservers
	as those for the parent zone.  The usual reason for doing this is
	to move administative responsability.  The other reason is to be
	consistant you have to delegate some sub zones for administative
	reasons and you do the others to be consistant even though you
	are still adminstering them.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.