DNS & Mail Interaction

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Apr 11 21:34:32 UTC 2001

Are you using the same nameserver instance to serve your domains to the public,
as well as to resolve Internet names for your internal clients? If so, then
setting a single global allow-query amounted to shooting yourself in the foot,
to be perfectly honest. It doesn't just matter whether the *receiving* mail
servers could resolve names from your nameserver, it also matters whether the
*sending* mail servers could resolve the MX records in your domains. And the
sending mail servers could, of course, be *anywhere*.

Set a global allow-query to restrict query access to your internal clients, and
then per-zone "allow-query { any; };" clauses to allow outside clients to
resolve your domains.

Or even better, serve the public from a different nameserver instance than your
own clients. Then you can turn off recursion completely on the
"public" instance and no-one external will ever be able to use your nameserver
for resolving names outside of your own domains.

- Kevin