Delegation Question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Apr 11 21:53:46 UTC 2001

I'm not sure what you mean by "delegate that zones subnet". Are you talking
about delegating part of the in-addr.arpa namespace, or are you talking about
registering a netblock with ARIN (or whomever) as belonging to a different
organization?

If you're talking about in-addr.arpa delegation, no, that's not necessary. In
many cases, there is no one-to-one correspondence any between the subdomains of
a forward domain and subnets. Many of the internal subdomains of chrysler.com,
for instance, span multiple locations (not to mention continents!).

If you're talking about netblock registration, that really has nothing to do
with DNS.

- Kevin