Newbie: Tuning Bind 8.2.3 for resilient A/CNAME queries...

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Apr 12 19:56:01 UTC 2001

I don't think the 10% figure is particularly meaningful, unless that only
represents *authoritative* responses. A 10% differential which includes
answers from cache could occur simply because cache entries in the offsite
server might happen to expire at different times than they do in yours.

I'm not aware of any tunables in BIND for this kind of thing, but then
mostly BIND just keeps on trying and trying to resolve a query and it is
the client which times out. You might want to do some analysis to see if
BIND actually *is* resolving the "failed" names, but too late for the
client to accept the answer. For this, you'd probably have to turn on
debugging and parse the output (and at the volumes you're talking about,
that could be a *lot* of parsing). If BIND is getting the answer, then you
should perhaps concentrate your efforts on getting the client resolvers to
be more patient.

- Kevin